Thursday 9 February 2012

Second-Look Thursday

I think I should do this, don't you? Especially since reviewing SVE yesterday and finding that I liked her after all, so much so that Tramp got the second-ever full score.

Clogs, Last Song. On first look, they were a mostly instrumental band that I didn't listen to because I didn't want my image of the Bryce Dessner as a brilliant, humble musician tarnished by possibly pretentious music.

On second look, WHAT THE HELL WAS I THINKING? It's the Bryce Dessner, you idiot, with Padma Newsome to boot. Of course it's beautiful stuff.

St Vincent, Cheerleader. I really wanted to love her. Come on - great voice, great guitar player, great lyrics - but, much like Sharon Van Etten, there was something stopping me from liking her. I think it was possibly money preservation. But to hell with the purse strings, it's not like I have rent to pay.

Charlotte Gainsbourg, Heaven Can Wait. This is actually more of a third look. First look, my mind process was as follows: Oh, I don't know her, she looks cool. Oh, she's an actress, and the daughter of Serge Gainsbourg. Cynicism raised its head, and I didn't bother with her. Then I saw The Science Of Sleep. Cynicism looked unsure. Then, after ten months after discovering her, I finally listened to her music. Cynicism slunk back to its lair.

Moll x

1 comment: