Monday 6 February 2012

(Catch Up) Music Monday

Where have I been? Well, on Wednesday I was abducted by the crew of the USS Enterprise. Yes, it's true. It IS. Ok, you got me, it's not. I just forgot and thought I could get away with blaming on Kirk and co.
Anyway, I owe this guy a review. So, without further ado (you can tell I've won poetry competitions, can't you*), here it is


SOTW - Harsha Iyer, I Find You Boring


I often wonder about the influence of Western music on other parts of the world. You can certainly hear it here. Sometimes the glint of pop vocals, sometimes the just-plain-weirdness of Child Bite. It's pacey and hard to pin down, but simultaneously as catchy as hell. There's a hint of ska rumbling through the background, a wavery bass line has more in common with a raucous childrens party than mainstream music. His vocals rival the speed of REM's It's The End of the World As We Know It and that "Dooby-dooby-dooby-do" is just adorable. The drums have been stolen from the circus, and the piano sounds like a hyper child. It's all great, every last bit of it.The only bit that  grates is a slight wayward American pop squeak, but that is probably more debut album syndrome than a sign of things to come.

8/10


* Not to brag, but I actually have.

No comments:

Post a Comment