Wednesday 18 May 2011

In Memoriam

Thirty-one years ago today, Ian Curtis killed himself. I'm not a devout Joy Division fan at all - I admire them of course, and I don't think you can call yourself Mancunian without knowing at least some of the words to Love Will Tear Us Apart - but there's no denying they were a brilliant band.

And yes - until not very long ago, Love Will Tear Us Apart was the only song of theirs I knew. For the similarly uninitiated, here's a list of my favourite Joy Division tracks:

She's Lost Control. When I first heard this one, I was underwhelmed. Then I pressed replay. And then I pressed it again. And again. And again....so on and so forth until it became one of my favourites.

Digital. Another one that creeps up on you. But if by this time tomorrow you haven't found yourself murmuring "Day in! Day out! Day in! Day out! Day in! Day out!", I don't think you can be human.

Transmission. The intro is fantastic. 'Nuff said.

Disorder. Their best, in my opinion. I mean, come on! Have you heard that bass line? Plus, it's a really good one to yell along with.

And if you haven't already, go rent Control from the library or somewhere. I watched it a couple of months ago and it's one of those films where, even though you know how it's going to end, it still manages to make you cry. It's beautifully shot too, and Sam Riley is fantastic as Curtis.

Mollx

P.S. The original obituary. A very nice piece. http://www.nme.com/blog/index.php?blog=10&p=8469&title=paul_morley_on_ian_curtis_the_myth_gets_&more=1&c=1

No comments:

Post a Comment