Tuesday 30 August 2011

Label Day: Afternoon Records

I'm not going to lie and say that the past few Label Days have been easy. You see, I've got a list (thanks Wikipedia) and I - much like when looking for records or books - just scan until something catches my eye. Not the best method I'll admit, which is why I'm particularly happy with having found today's label.

I think this guy is really good. I can't think who he reminds me of, but his bio says: Comparisons range from Daniel Johnston to Robbie Fulks to The Mountain Goats to Guided by Voices, but he’s just trying to sound like Neil Young. Watch him closely, or he will come to your house and watch you. Here's his page. I like the first track most myself.


I'm having flashbacks to when I used to listen to folk most of the time (Jon Boden, Seth Lakeman, Kris Drever etc) but really it's only his lyrics that bring that style to mind - he's most certainly in the alt./anti-folk vein. John Vanderslice (also, if this helps, he's collaborated with John Darnielle {who's All Hail West Texas I am still in the process of reviewing for last weeks AOTS}) 

If the last Bright Eyes album had been more like this instead of a watered-down Digital Ash..., I'd have been a very happy girl indeed. Poison Control Center The first track, by the way.


Mollx

No comments:

Post a Comment