Monday 24 June 2013

Eight Tracks From 8tracks

So, of late, I've been all over 8tracks, and I'm not sure why.

I mean, you can't see tracklists, so you've no idea what's coming up and whether you'll like that particular playlist or not. But then again, you don't have to start with more than just a vague idea in mind of what you want to listen to, and the whole playlist thing makes it easier to narrow it down than Last.fm or Jango.

So I like it, I do - there are just a few kinks I think it needs to work on.

But onwards and upwards with the Eight Tracks from 8tracks!

I've been listening to a lot of what gets tagged as 'southern gothic'. Essentially, it's blues rock with swampwater in its shoes. Firstly, The Silent Comedy - Bartholomew

Secondly, The Devil Makes Three - Old Number Seven. Which is blues rock with swampwater in its shoes and a directions to the nearest crossroads.

Thirdly, Noah Gunderson - David. I wasn't so keen on this at first but now I always go yess! when it comes on. Reminds me a bit of a raspy voiced Conor Oberst.

Fourthly, Grace Potter And The Nocturnals - Nothing But The Water (I). I have this going in two tabs at the same time the delay sounds awesome. It's all the above plus a bit of soul.

Fifthly,  Frank Turner - Love Ire and Song. I heard this once on 8tracks, I think, and I loved it, so. It's British, so it's not blues, it's folk. That's your general rule of thumb, by the way - on one side of the Atlantic, it's blues, on the other it's folk. Though this really is folk, complete with wordy lyrics and strum-my acoustic guitar.

Sixthly, The Civil Wars - Barton Hollow. Yes, more southern gothic. Shush. Also, one of the singers looks like Johnny Depp.

Seventhly, The Heavy - How You Like Me Now. I honestly don't know whether this fits or not, but I like it, so there.

Eighthly, Delta Rae - Bottom Of The River. I had no idea this was as popular as it is, but she has a hell of a voice, so if you haven't heard it, go listen, and if you have, go listen again.

Also, I recently watched Dr Horrible's Sing-Along Blog. It's so good. I mean. So good. Also I finished it with a crush on Felicia Day, so, fair warning.

Mollx

No comments:

Post a Comment